ALFA/CIMA Observing Checklist
Prepared by the E-ALFA Drift Group (A1946)
This is a short checklist of the things to do when observing... for more details see the observing cookbook.
Make sure that ALFA will be ready for your observations
- ALFA cover must be removed.
- If you need to rotate the feed, the motor must be switched on
Log in: dtusr
User: yourname, aNNNN, select spectral line
Load/Save State: load your setup file ***.gui
- Point telescope
- Set ALFA rotation angle
- choose beam 0 as center
Receiver IF/LO Control --> New Improved IFLO Control
- Check central frequency and bandwidths
- Apply this setup
- Configure Wapp ALFA
- Adjust Power - make sure it's right!
Spectral Line Observing
- Check power levels periodically
- Start new fits file (WAPP data) if needed
- On Dataview, click on the background and select from the menu:
- Quicklook Data Display
- Observers Monitor
- Array Rotation
- Frontend Monitor
- You can open the same widgets by typing on an xterm:
- /home/aoui/alfa/alfadatawin &
- /home/aoui/alfa/alfaobswin &
- /home/aoui/alfa/alfamotorwin &
- /home/aoui/alfa/alfamonwin &
- If CIMA gets confused, go to User preferences and
Pulsar Observing --> More --> Restart All WAPPS
- type "socksend WAPPDATA FLUSH" in "Send to gui"
- Hit "Send to gui"
Exit CIMA and start again
- If you need to restart the WAPPs:
- Pulsar Observing --> More --> Restart All WAPPS
Exit data monitoring programs "nicely"
Exit CIMA normally
This page created and maintained by
Kristine Spekkens and the members of the Cornell
Last modified: Tue Sep 21 18:00:47 EDT 2004