Dong Lai's Research Group
Dong Lai's Homepage .
Our current research interest includes
See our Publications
(to be updated once in a while)
and Research Bio Sktech,
or better look at
Also our Science paper
our PNAS paper .
- Astrophysics of Exoplanets: dynamics, formation,
protoplanetary disks, star-planet interactions,
interior physics and atmosphere dynamics, etc
- Compact Objects: neutron stars,
black holes, white dwarfs,
gravitational wave sources, radiative transfer, neutrinos
- Astrophysical (particle and fluid) dynamics
in general: celestial mechanics, waves, oscillations,
Selected recent talks: (maybe useful for getting a quick overview
of our research for prospective students/postdocs)
Gravitational Waves (LIGO Surprises)
(TDLI, Xiamen, CCA-Flatiron 2017-18)
(UIUC, KIAA, IHEP, UCLA, Harvard 2017-18)
Misaligned Planets/Stars, Disks and Rings (and Planet Nine)
(CITA, KIAA, Tsinghua, IAS, Nice 2016-17; Earlier version:
Caltech, Bern, SJTU, SHAO, Tsinghua 2014-15)
Merging Compact (NS & WD) Binaries (Penn State 2017; Earlier versions:
Chicago-14, Prague-13; SHAO-Anniversary-12, Texas-13, Xiameng-13, USTC-12 etc)
Magnetic NSs and Polarized X-Rays (IHEP-CAS 2016; eXTP 2018)
Extreme Exoplanetary Systems (Harvard-ITC, Cornell, UCSC, Berkeley 2015;
earlier version: Columbia-2015, USTC-2015; Chicago 10/2014)
Physics in Strong Magnetic Fields (Overview talk at ISSI workshop
on Strongest magnetic fields in the universe, Bern, 2/2014)
BH Accretion and Physics of QPOs (Prague Synergy "Compact
Disk Accretion onto Magnetic Stars (Harvard 5/2015; review-Geneva-6/2013;
Astro/Space Plasma, Lijiang-7/2013; SHAO 1/2014)
Tidal Dissipaton in Binaries: From Merging White Dwarfs to Exoplanetary
Systems (Harvard,KIAA,SHAO,Cornell 2013;
earlier version: CITA,IAS,McGill,etc 2012)
Astrophysics of Compact Objects (Part I),
(Part II) (Two lectures in "Challenge" Workshop, Sao Paulo)
Exciting Wave and Modes in BH Accretion Disks and Other Rotating Astrophysical
Flows (UCSB, MPA, Saclay, SHAO, 2010-11; IAU-2012; NAOC 2013)
Some Older Research Stuff and talks
CURRENT GROUP MEMBERS:
Jean Teyssandier (Ph.D.'14, IAP-Paris) (2017-):
Dynamics, exoplanets, disks, etc.
Bin Liu (Ph.D. '16, USTC) (2017-2018):
Dynamics, exoplanets, black hole binaries etc.
Other Cornell Ph.D. students I have worked with or co-supervised:
Wynn Ho (Ph.D. 2003, Shelley Award):
Neutron stars: GWs and atmospheres.
Hubble Fellow, Stanford/MIT -> Harvard CfA -> Faculty
at Univ. Southampton.
- Matt Van Adelsberg (Ph.D. 2005)
NS atmospheres. Postdoc at
U.Colorado -> KITP; Georgia Tech ->
"Metron" (Scientific Consulting)
- Akiko Shirakawa (Ph.D. 2007):
Magnetic accretion in X-ray binaries;
Nucleosynthesis in young NSs.
- Chen Wang
(Ph.D. 2007 NAOC; co-advisee):
Pulsar kicks, wave propagation in
NS magnetospheres. Research Associate Professor at NAOC (Beijing).
- Zach Medin (Ph.D 2008; Shelley Award):
Matter in strong B fields and NS.
Trottier Fellow at McGill -> Permanent Staff at Los Alamos Nat. Lab.
David Tsang (Ph.D. 2009):
BH accretion disks.
Fairchild Fellow at Caltech; Trottier Fellow at McGill -> Prize
Fellow at Maryland --> Faculty at U.of Bath (UK).
Wen Fu (Ph.D. 2012): Wave dynamics of
accretion disks and other rotating astrophysical flows.
Research Scientist at Rice Univ.
Jim Fuller (Ph.D. 2013; NASA Grad Fellow, Shelley Award):
White dwarf binaries, tides, seismology.
DuBridge Fellow, Caltech/KITP -> Faculty at
Natalia Storch (Ph.D. 2015; Shelley Award):
Exoplanets & Compact Objects.
Burke Postdoc Fellow in Theoretical Astro, Caltech.
Bin Liu (Ph.D. 2016 USTC; co-advisee):
Secular Dynamics, exoplanets and compact objects.
Shanghai Astro Observatory.
Ryan Miranda (Ph.D. 2017): Accretion disks around protostars and black holes.
Postdoc at IAS Princeton.
Phil Arras (Ph.D. 1999 with Wasserman):
Neutrino transport in strong B fields. Postddoc at CITA,
KITP. Faculty at U. Virginia
- Harald Pfeiffer (Ph.D. 2003 with Teukolsky):
Mainly numerical relativity; warped accretion disks.
Fairchild Fellow at Caltech. Faculty at CITA, AEI
- Francois Foucart (Ph.D. 2011 with Teukolsky):
Warped disks, exoplanets. Postdoc fellow at CITA -> Einstein fellow at
UC Berkeley --> faculty at U. New Hampshire.
Former Visiting Associates and postdocs:
- Paul Wiggins (A&EP, '99):
Tidal interaction in NS-BH binaries. Ph.D. at Caltech
- Carolyn Sealfon (college scholar, '00):
Matter in strong B-fields. Ph.D. at U. Penn
- Brian Cameron (college scholar, '03):
Core collapse dynamics; matter in strong magnetic fields.
Ph.D. at Caltech.
- Marcus Woo (Physics, '03):
Radiation from neutron stars. Ph.D. at U. Maryland
- David Schwab (Cornell, '04)
- Jared Gabor (Caltech, '05): REU summer student
2004. Ph.D. at U. Arizona
- Brad Austin (Columbia, '06): REU summer student
- Tony Li (A&EP, Cornell, '09):
Ph.D. at Stanford.
- Yuanjian Zheng (Cornell '13, Rawling Presidential Scholar)
- Jeff Gerber: 2013 summer REU student
- Michael Hammer (Cornell '15): Planets in binaries.
Ph.D. at U Arizona. NSF graduate Fellow.
- Grigoriy Tabak (Cornell '16): N-body Dynamics: Ph.D. at U. Rochester
- Liantong Luo (PKU '16: visiting student from Peking University)
- Wenrui Xu ('17): Secular Dynamics, resonances; neutron stars: Ph.D. at Princeton.
Evection resonance ;
Neutron star tides .
Joining our group:
We welcome graduate students (both in astronomy and physics) who are very motivated,
curious and passionate about research.
Students interested in joining our group are encouraged to
contact Dong Lai as early as possible.
- Dr. Alexander Potekhin (Ioffe Institute, St Petersburg);
- Dr. Hang Zhang (Nanjing Normal University);
- Dr. Chen Wang (NAOC, Beijing);
- Dr. Xiangdong Li (Nanjing University);
- Dr. David Tsang (Cornell): Postdoc;
- Dr. Teruaki Enoto (Tokyo);
- Dr. Thierry Foglizzo (Saclay);
- Dr. Cong Yu (CAS, Yunnan): 2011-2012
- Dr. Heloise Meheut (Univ. Bern): 2011
- Dr. Guoqiang Ding (CAS): 2013
- Dr. Jiri Horak (Prague): 2012,2013,2014
- Dr. Yefei Yuan (USTC): 4-5/2015
- Mr. Evgeni Grishin (Visiting Ph.D. student from Technion): 7-8/2016:
Diego Munoz (Harvard Ph.D.'13) (2013-2016): disks, hydrodynamics, exoplanets, etc.
- Short-term visitors (~a week): Dr. Andrew Melatos (U. Melbourne, 2008),
Dr. Wenfei Yu (SHAO, 2012), Dr. Gordon Ogilvie (Cambridge, 2013),
Dr. Feng Yuan (SHAO, 2013)
We gratefully acknowledge NSF, NASA (ATP, exoplanets, Chandra, Fermi programs),
the A.P. Sloan Foundation and the Simons Foundation for
supporting our research over the years.
Dong Lai's Homepage .